Looking Back on the 2020 Legislative Session
While the Senate completed its legislative activities over a week ago, the 2020 legislative session did not come to an official end until May 27. On this date, the Senate adjourned sine die. This added Latin phrase translates to “without day” and simply means the Senate has adjourned without arranging a time to meet again and formally brings session to an end.
With session now officially wrapped-up, I thought I’d go over a few bills passed by the General Assembly and sent to the governor this year. You can learn more about the bills listed below and any of the other bills filed this session by visiting senate.mo.gov.
- Senate Bill 676 ensures that stimulus relief checks are not subject to state income tax and enacts several property tax protections across the state.
- Senate Concurrent Resolution 32, which I sponsored, calls on Missouri’s congressional delegation to support and help pass the “Bring Our Heroes Home Act,” which would declassify certain POW/MIA information.
- House Bill 1330, the House companion to legislation I sponsored in the Senate, conveys several pieces of state property, including land to the Heartland Port Authority to build a port in Jefferson City.
- House Bill 1711 allows deer jerky to be donated to food pantries. I sponsored similar legislation in the Senate.
- House Bill 1768 expands opportunities for rural broadband access and extends the broadband Internet grant program serving unserved and underserved areas through June 30, 2027.
- House Bill 2046, which I handled in the Senate, expands opportunities for license reciprocity and includes the Expanded Workforce Access Act, which will help individuals who gain valuable, hands-on experience through a federally-approved apprenticeship program earn an industry license.
Even though session is officially over, my staff and I remain available to help you with any issue. If you have questions about state government or if we can be assistance in any way, please feel free to contact my office at (573) 751-2076.
For information about my committee assignments or sponsored legislation, please visit my official Missouri Senate website at senate.mo.gov/Bernskoetter.