HB 620 -- Public Funding of Campaigns
Co-Sponsors: Bray, Selby, Harlan, Williams (121), Riback
Wilson, Davis (63), Gaw
This bill establishes public funding for state elections. The
(1) Sets qualifying and reporting requirements for public
(2) Specifies the amount of public funding available for
various state elections;
(3) Limits the use of money from private sources and personal
funds by participating candidates;
(4) Offers additional public moneys to match the spending of
candidates who reject public funding;
(5) Requires independent expenditures over specified amounts to
be reported and possibly matched by public moneys;
(6) Places limits on contributions to political parties and the
amount of money participating candidates may accept from
(7) Pays for public funding with annual appropriations from the
(8) Specifies penalties for violating provisions of this bill;
(9) Charges the Missouri Ethics Commission with administration
and enforcement of these provisions.
The bill applies to state elections after November 8, 2000.
This bill also has a referendum clause submitting its provisions
to the voters for approval or rejection.
Missouri House of Representatives' Home Page
Last Updated September 30, 1999 at 1:26 pm