FIRST REGULAR SESSION
SENATE BILL NO. 123
90TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY SENATOR EHLMANN.
Pre-filed December 1, 1998, and 1,000 copies ordered printed.
TERRY L. SPIELER, Secretary.
To repeal sections 305.510 and 305.515, RSMo 1994, relating to the Missouri-St. Louis Metropolitan Airport Authority, and to enact in lieu thereof two new sections relating to the same subject, with an effective date.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Sections 305.510 and 305.515, RSMo 1994, are repealed and two new sections enacted in lieu thereof, to be known as sections 305.510 and 305.515, to read as follows:
305.510. 1. "The Missouri-St. Louis Metropolitan Airport Authority" is hereby established. The authority is a body corporate and a political subdivision of the state and shall be known as "The Missouri-St. Louis Metropolitan Airport Authority", and in that name may sue and be sued. Actions of the authority are declared to be in the public interest and for a public purpose, and the authority may exercise the powers herein granted or necessarily implied for the purpose of promoting the general welfare and to provide safe and convenient air travel and transportation to and from the greater St. Louis metropolitan area.
2. [After June 30, 1983, the general assembly shall not appropriate or expend any state moneys for the implementation and continuation of this section or the Missouri-St. Louis metropolitan airport authority.] Beginning January 1, 2004, the authority shall be responsible for the operation of any and all international airports located in Missouri within fifty miles of the city of St. Louis, and shall exercise any and all powers granted to it in this chapter in the exercise of this responsibility. Nothing herein shall be construed to change the ownership of such international airport.
3. The authority shall honor all bonds, debts, outstanding obligations and contracts of any airport or airport authority affected by this section.
4. The operation of such airport by the authority shall replace the operation by any other entity created by local ordinance.
305.515. 1. [The governor, with the advice and consent of the senate, shall appoint four members of the authority; and two of the members shall be appointed for a term of two years, and two for a term of three years. The governor shall designate one of the authority members as chairman for the first two years. Thereafter, the authority membership shall elect a member to serve as chairman.] The mayor of the city of St. Louis [and the supervisor], the county executive of St. Louis County, the county executive of St. Charles County and the county commissions of Jefferson and Franklin Counties, with the advice and consent of their respective governing bodies, shall each appoint [three members of the authority and of the three, one shall be appointed for a term of two years, one for a term of three years, and one for a term of four years. The county commissions of Jefferson, Franklin and St. Charles counties shall each appoint one member of the authority, each such member to serve a term of four years. Thereafter, all appointments shall be for a term of four years] one member of the authority for each one hundred thirty thousand residents in the city or county according to the latest decennial census. In no event shall any appointing authority for a city or county appoint a majority of the members of the commission. The first, third and fifth members initially appointed by an appointing authority shall be appointed for a term of four years. The second, fourth and sixth initial members shall be appointed for a term of two years. Appointments subsequent to the initial appointments shall be for a term of four years. Each member shall be subject to removal by the appointing authority. Any fraction of a year shall be considered a full year and each member's term of office shall expire on the appropriate fifteenth day of January, but he shall continue to hold office until his successor is appointed and qualified. One more than one-half of the members of the authority shall constitute a quorum. Vacancies occurring in the membership shall be filled by appointment by the person making the original appointment for the unexpired remainder of the term. The authority membership shall elect a member to serve as chairman.
2. No person shall be appointed to the authority who is an elected official of the state of Missouri or any political subdivision thereof. No person shall be appointed to the authority who is actively engaged or employed in commercial aeronautics.
3. The members of the authority shall receive as compensation for their services twenty-five dollars per day for the time spent in the performance of their official duties, and also their necessary traveling and other expenses incurred while actually engaged in the discharge of their official duties.
4. Each member shall, before entering upon the duties of his office, take and subscribe the constitutional oath of office. At such time as federal funds are received or revenue bonds are issued, each member shall give bond in the penal sum of one hundred thousand dollars conditioned upon the faithful performance of his duties and the bond shall be filed in the office of the Missouri secretary of state. The cost of the bond shall be paid by the authority.
Section B. The repeal and reenactment of sections 305.510 and 305.515 shall become effective on January 1, 2004.
Return to Senate Home Page