|HB 0676||Relating to Motor Vehicles|
|Sponsor:||KELLEY (47)||Handling House Bill:|
|Last Action:||02/28/95 - Referred H Motor Vehicle & Traffic Regulations Comm.|
HB0676 Kelley, Pat
P R E F I L E D
HB 676 -- Uninsured Motorists
The bill makes several changes related to uninsured motorists.
(1) Requires vehicle owners to show financial responsibility when registering a vehicle;
(2) Requires the Department of Revenue to suspend, for at least 2 years, the license of certain persons who fail to provide security for damages arising out of an accident where their vehicle was uninsured. After the 2-year period, reinstatement is not allowed until the person has filed proof of financial responsibility with the Department of Revenue, restitution is made to all persons, and a reinstatement fee of $1,000 is paid;
(3) Increases the penalty for operating a vehicle with a suspended or revoked license from $500 and 6 months in jail to $1,000 and a year in jail;
(4) Prohibits the court from suspending imposition of sentence for operating a vehicle with a suspended or revoked license; and
(5) Requires that persons convicted of either crime be imprisoned for at least 30 days, unless as a condition of parole or probation the person performs at least 10 days and 100 hours of community service.