|HB 0383||Landlord Remedies|
|Sponsor:||RIZZO||Handling House Bill:||DEPASCO|
|Last Action:||07/05/95 - Signed by Governor|
|Effective Date:||August 28, 1995|
SS#2/SCS/HS/HB 383 - This act makes several changes which pertain to local government laws in St. Louis City and Kansas City.
(1) St. Louis City and Kansas City will have the authority to pass ordinances allowing them to sue the owners of dangerous buildings for estimated demolition costs prior to the actual demolition. (SB 304)
(2) A first classification county would be permitted to enact orders to repair or demolish a building in the county which is declared a public nuisance. At the present time only Jackson County may take this action.
(3) St. Louis City and Kansas City will be able to declare a building a nuisance regardless of whether the building's condition is consistent with the neighborhood's general condition.
(4) The act provides that the statutory right for a nuisance action in St. Louis City and Kansas City does not abrogate the common law right of a nuisance action.
(5) Landlords who are non-residents or corporations must designate in writing an agent who can receive notice of a lawsuit. The name and address of the agent must be filed with the Secretary of State.
If no agent is on file or if the process cannot be served in Missouri on the designated agent, process may be served on the Secretary of State. However, service on the Secretary of State is not effective unless the petitioner immediately sends a copy of the process to the defendant or respondent by certified mail at the address on the assessor's records for the subject property.
An affidavit of compliance with the provisions of section
82.1025 of this act shall be filed with the clerk of the court.