HB 2439 - Under current law, the POST Commission sets a minimum number of basic training hours for licensure for peace officers no lower than 470 hours and no higher than 600 with certain exceptions as provided in law. This act changes this requirement to be no lower than 600 hours.
Additionally, this act adds additional grounds for when the Director of the Department of Public Safety shall discipline peace officers. This act provides that any peace officer shall be disciplined who:
• Is unable to perform the function of a peace officer with reasonable competency or reasonable safety;
• Has been convicted, or has entered a plea of guilty or nolo contendere, in a criminal prosecution under any state laws, any federal laws, or any laws of anther country, regardless if a sentence was imposed;
• Has committed any act that involves moral turpitude or a reckless disregard for the safety of the public;
• Has tested positive for a controlled substance without a valid prescription;
• Is subject to an order suspending or revoking a peace officer license from another state, territory, the federal government, or any peace officer licensing authority ; or
• Has committed any act of gross misconduct indicating inability to function as a peace officer.
MARY GRACE PRINGLE