SB 926
Creates provisions relating to energy performance standards in certain non-state owned buildings
LR Number:
Last Action:
2/27/2020 - Second Read and Referred S Commerce, Consumer Protection, Energy and the Environment Committee
Journal Page:
Calendar Position:
Effective Date:
August 28, 2020

Current Bill Summary

SB 926 - This act requires certain non-state owned buildings to report their greenhouse gas emissions beginning December 31, 2021.

The act requires the buildings sector of Missouri to reduce greenhouse gas emission by 40% from the reported 2006 levels and reduce such emissions by at least 80% from the 2006 levels by 2050. At least 75% of such reductions shall be achieved through energy efficiency, onsite fuel switching, and building technologies. The other 25% of reductions may be achieved through mechanisms such as energy credits or other emissions trading mechanisms.

The Division of Energy shall develop rules setting out emissions reductions on 5-year cycles beginning in 2025.

Every two years the Division shall report on the progress in emissions reductions to the General Assembly.

Buildings eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places are exempt from the building energy performance standards if compliance with such standards would compromise the historical integrity of the building or part of the building.

The Division shall establish exemption criteria for qualifying buildings to delay compliance with the performance standards for up to 3 years if the owner demonstrates certain circumstances as set forth in the act. The Division may establish similar exemption criteria for qualifying affordable housing buildings to delay compliance for more than 3 years.

Buildings that fail to comply with the building energy performance standards at the end of the 5-year compliance period shall pay an alternative compliance penalty established by the Division. The penalties shall be set at a level in which the cost of non-compliance exceeds the cost of compliance.

The Attorney General may commence a civil action as set forth in the act.

The Division shall coordinate with the Missouri Green Bank to establish an incentive and financial assistance program for qualifying building owners and affordable housing providers to meet building energy performance standards.

Finally, the act establishes the Building Energy Performance Standards Task Force. The task force is comprised of 13 members and shall dissolve on December 31, 2025.



No Amendments Found.