JEFFERSON CITY— After the recent terrorist attacks in Paris, France over the weekend, Missouri senators are urging the governor to suspend the acceptance of Syrian refugees wanting to relocate in Missouri.
Senate Leader Ron Richard, R-Joplin, said that protection of our citizens is too important to risk allowing individuals in who may seek to infiltrate our nation in order to carry out terrorist attacks.
“The State of Missouri will not be forced to make up for this administration’s mishandling of America’s foreign policy,” said Richard. “We will not idly stand by while our citizens are put in harm’s way. We call upon our governor to do his duty and protect the safety and well-being of the citizens of the Show-Me State by opposing this misguided plan.”
“If this administration truly wants to help millions of people living under the hand of vicious Islamic extremists, it should devote its efforts towards developing a coherent foreign policy that brings freedom to refugees in their own homelands,” said Sen. Mike Parson, R-Bolivar.
“We will always remember we are a nation of immigrants, and we are willing to welcome those who come to seek better lives for themselves and their families through legal channels,” said Richard. “But, we cannot allow poorly vetted individuals to come to our state without an in-depth screening process. I urge the governor to suspend the acceptance of Syrian refugees until the Department of Homeland Security can assure us the procedures are safe and a full review of security threats has been completed.”
“Missouri is a state that is a rich melting pot of different cultures; however, her residents and their safety must be our first concern. Anyone who cannot properly provide the appropriate documentation should not be allowed to settle in Missouri,” stated Sen. Brian Munzlinger, R-Williamstown.
Urging the governor to suspend the relocation program:
- Sen. Dan Brown, R-Rolla
- Sen. Mike Cunningham, R-Rogersville
- Sen. Ed Emery, R-Lamar
- Sen. Dan Hegeman, R-Cosby
- Sen. Mike Kehoe, R-Jefferson City
- Sen. Will Kraus, R-Lee’s Summit
- Sen. Brian Munzlinger, R-Williamstown
- Sen. Bob Onder, R-Lake St. Louis
- Sen. Mike Parson, R-Bolivar
- Sen. Ron Richard, R-Joplin
- Sen. Jeanie Riddle, R-Callaway County
- Sen. David Sater, R-Cassville
- Sen. Rob Schaaf, R-St. Joseph
- Sen. Kurt Schaefer, R-Columbia
- Sen. Eric Schmitt, R-Glendale
- Sen. Ryan Silvey, R-Kansas City
- Sen. Wayne Wallingford, R-Cape Girardeau
- Sen. Jay Wasson, R-Nixa
Lauren Hieger, Senate Majority Caucus Communications Director
(573) 751-7266 – firstname.lastname@example.org