SB 651
Creates a home inspector licensing board and procedures for licensing home inspectors
LR Number:
Last Action:
3/5/2012 - Hearing Conducted S Financial and Governmental Organizations and Elections Committee
Journal Page:
Calendar Position:
Effective Date:
January 1, 2014

Current Bill Summary

SB 651 - This act requires individuals performing home inspections to be licensed. Licenses are to only be issued to individuals and not business entities. A license would not be required for certain government employees, licensed home inspector assistants, persons acting on behalf of insurance companies, and individuals performing limited inspections of certain components of houses. Licenses will not be required of architects, engineers, or real estate brokers, salespersons, or appraisers acting within the scope of their licenses.

The act creates the Missouri Homes Inspectors' Board which is to set qualifications and establish an application process for home inspector licenses. The board is to establish guidelines relating to educational courses for home inspectors. The act creates the Missouri Home Inspectors' Fund to collect fees authorized under the act and to be used by the board.

This act set criteria for complaints to be filed with the administrative hearing commission. The Missouri Home Inspectors' Board may refuse to renew a license and the administrative hearing commission may take disciplinary action for a violation of any of these criteria.

This act requires licensed home inspectors to maintain records for three years and a day after the creation of a home inspection report.

A statute of limitations of one year after the date of the inspection report is created for actions against home inspectors and relating to home inspections. A person knowingly violating a provision of this act will be guilty of a class B misdemeanor. Business entities that participate in a violation or that are an accessory to a violation of this act will be guilty of a class B misdemeanor. The Missouri Home Inspectors' Board may file a complaint for a violation of this act with a court of competent jurisdiction.

This act is similar to HB 1291 (2012).