HCS/SB 480 - The Second State Capitol Commission is renamed the Missouri State Capitol Commission. Currently, the commission membership includes one member of the majority and minority parties of the House and Senate. This act requires the Senate member to be appointed by the pro tem and the House member to be appointed by the speaker.
The commission's duties are expanded to include evaluating and approving capitol studies and improvement, expansion, renovation, and restoration projects to be paid out of the State Capitol Commission fund, and initiating planning efforts, subject to appropriation, for a centennial celebration of the laying of the capstone of the state capitol.
Gifts, bequests, donations, and grants may be used for the preservation, improvement, expansion, and renovation of the capitol.
This act creates the Missouri Board on Geographic Names within the office of the Secretary of State charged with the following duties:
• Evaluate proposals for changes in names of geographical features and places.
• Make official recommendations to and cooperate with the United States Board on Geographic names.
• Maintain a list of advisers who have special interest and knowledge in Missouri history, geography or culture and consult with such advisers.
• Develop and revise state priorities for geographic records projects.
• Report annually to the General Assembly.
This act is similar to SB 263 (2009) and HB 858 (2009).