SB 269 Modifies various provisions relating to the regulation of captive insurance companies
Sponsor: Rupp Co-Sponsor(s)
LR Number: 1441S.01I Fiscal Note: 1441-01
Committee: Small Business, Insurance and Industry
Last Action: 3/10/2009 - Voted Do Pass S Small Business, Insurance and Industry Committee Journal Page:
Title: Calendar Position:
Effective Date: August 28, 2009

Full Bill Text | All Actions | Available Summaries | Senate Home Page | List of 2009 Senate Bills

Current Bill Summary


SB 269 - This act modifies various provisions of Missouri's captive insurance company law. Under this act, the definition of "association" is amended to include captive insurance companies formed as reciprocal insurers. The act amends multiple sections of the captive insurance law to permit reciprocal insurers to be used to form an association captive.

This act repeals the requirement that a captive insurance company must hold at least 35% of its assets within Missouri (Section 379.1302). The act expressly provides that association captive insurance companies and industrial insured captive insurance companies may be organized as reciprocal insurers as provided by law. The act provides that the organizers of a reciprocal insurer must petition the director for its formation. The act provide that the captive insurance company statutes shall control in cases of conflict between them and the reciprocal insurance statues. The act further modifies the law to permit a non-U.S. or alien captive to redomesticate to Missouri if approved by the director (Section 379.1310).

Under the terms of the act, the premium taxes imposed on captive insurance companies are redirected. Under the act, 90% of the taxes are deposited into the general revenue fund, while the remaining 10% are credited to the Insurance Dedicated Fund (Sections 379.1326 and 379.1332). The act contains a similar provision for the disposition of premium taxes assessed on special purpose life insurance captive companies (Section 379.1412).

Under the act, an association captive insurance company or an industrial insured captive insurance company may be converted into or merged with and into a reciprocal insurer. Under the act, any conversion or merger must provide a fair and equitable plan for purchasing the interests of the stockholders and policyholders of the stock or mutual insurer. The act sets forth the statutory steps that must be followed in order to complete a conversion or a merger (Section 379.1339).

This act reduces the number of Missouri residents required to incorporate or organize a special purpose life reinsurance captive from two to one (Section 379.1373).

The act modifies the method in which the assets of a special purpose life reinsurance captive are valued. The act allows letters of credit, financial guarantee policies and surety bonds to be recognized as assets of a special life reinsurance captive regardless of the existence of any repayment obligations imposed upon the captive (Section 379.1388).

STEPHEN WITTE