SENATE CONCURRENT RESOLUTION NO. 19
WHEREAS, fixing the health care crisis is extremely critical for the citizens of Missouri; and
WHEREAS, changes in the legal, medical, social and economic environments has resulted in a lack of availability or a high cost for medical malpractice coverage for health care providers; and
WHEREAS, the lack of availability and high cost for medical malpractice coverage for health care providers has in turn adversely impacted health care in Missouri; and
WHEREAS, other states have turned to health care stabilization funds as a means of resolving such problems by providing excess medical malpractice coverage to health care providers who participate in the fund; and
WHEREAS, a Missouri Health Care Stabilization Fund would constitute an important step in solving health care problems for Missouri:
NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the members of the Missouri Senate, Ninety-Third General Assembly, First Regular Session, the House of Representatives concurring therein, hereby create a Joint Interim Committee on a Missouri Health Care Stabilization Fund; and
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the interim committee shall be responsible for:
1. Exploring the establishment of a Missouri Health Care Stabilization Fund to be administered by a health care stabilization board and housed within the Department of Insurance.
2. Investigating the primary objective of assuring health care providers that there will be reasonable medical malpractice liability coverage available within the state of Missouri.
3. Researching the possibility of requiring health care providers to carry primary medical malpractice coverage with another insurer in order to participate in the fund.
4. Investigating the feasability of the fund paying moneys to an aggrieved party if his or her damages exceed the health care provider's primary level of coverage.
5. Exploring any other ideas as necessary for possible implementation of the fund; and
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the interim committee be authorized to call upon any department, office, division, or agency of this state to assist in gathering information pursuant to its objective; and
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the interim committee herein established shall consist of ten members, three of which shall be members of the Senate appointed by the President Pro Tem of the Senate, two of which shall be members of the Senate appointed by the Minority Leader of the Senate; and three shall be members of the House of Representatives appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives, two of which shall be members of the House appointed by the Minority Leader of the House; and
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the staffs of House Research, Senate Research, and the Committee on Legislative Research shall provide such legal, research, clerical, technical, and bill drafting services as the interim committee may require in the performance of its duties; and
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the interim committee, its members, and any staff assigned to the committee shall receive reimbursement for their actual and necessary expenses incurred in attending meetings of the committee or any subcommittee thereof; and
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the interim committee shall expire on December 31, 2005, and on that same date deliver a report of findings and recommendations to the General Assembly.
Return to Main Bill Page
Return to Senate Home Page