SECOND REGULAR SESSION
[TRULY AGREED TO AND FINALLY PASSED]
SENATE COMMITTEE SUBSTITUTE FOR
SENATE BILL NO. 1163
91ST GENERAL ASSEMBLY
To repeal section 643.220, RSMo, relating to the air emissions banking and trading program, and to enact in lieu thereof one new section relating to the same subject.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Section 643.220, RSMo, is repealed and one new section enacted in lieu thereof, to be known as section 643.220, to read as follows:
643.220. 1. The commission shall promulgate rules establishing a "Missouri Air Emissions Banking and Trading Program" to achieve and maintain the National Ambient Air Quality Standards established by the United States Environmental Protection Agency pursuant to the federal Clean Air Act, 42 U.S.C. 7401, et seq., as amended. In promulgating such rules, the commission may consider, but not be limited to, inclusion of provisions concerning the definition and transfer of air emissions reduction credits or allowances between mobile sources, area sources and stationary sources, the role of offsets in emissions trading, interstate and regional emissions trading and the mechanisms necessary to facilitate emissions trading and banking, including consideration of the authority of other contiguous states.
2. The program shall:
(1) Not include any provisions prohibited by federal law;
(2) Be applicable to criteria pollutants and their precursors as defined by the federal Clean Air Act, as amended;
(3) Not allow banked or traded emissions credits to be used to meet federal Clean Air Act requirements for hazardous air pollutant standards pursuant to Section 112 of the federal Clean Air Act;
(4) Allow the banking and trading of criteria pollutants that are also
hazardous air pollutants, as defined in Section 112 of the federal Clean Air Act, to the extent that verifiable emissions reductions achieved are in excess of those required to meet hazardous air pollutant emissions standards promulgated pursuant to Section 112 of the federal Clean Air Act;
(5) Authorize the direct trading of air emission reduction credits or allowances between nongovernmental parties, subject to the approval of the department;
(6) Allow net air emission reductions from federally approved permit conditions to be transferred to other sources for use as offsets required by the federal Clean Air Act in nonattainment areas to allow construction of new emission sources; and
(7) Not allow banking of air emission reductions unless they are in excess of reductions required by state or federal regulations or implementation plans.
3. The department shall verify, certify or otherwise approve the amount of an air emissions reduction credit before such credit is banked. Banked credits may be used, traded, sold or otherwise expended within the same nonattainment area, maintenance area or air quality modeling domain in which the air emissions reduction occurred, provided that there will be no resulting adverse impact of air quality.
4. To be creditable for deposit in the Missouri air emissions bank, a reduction in air emissions shall be permanent, quantifiable and federally approved.
5. To be tradeable between air emission sources, air emission reduction credits shall be based on air emission reductions that occur after August 28, 2001, or shall be credits that exist in the current air emissions bank.
6. In nonattainment areas, the bank of criteria pollutants and their precursors shall be reduced by three percent annually for as long as the area is classified as a nonattainment area.
Return to Main Bill Page
Return to Senate Home Page