SB 984 – This act modifies the Bright Flight Scholarship program in the following ways:
(1) It specifies that only Missouri residents will be offered initial academic scholarships;
(2) It allows recipients of a General Education Development certificate (GED) to be eligible for a scholarship;
(3) To have a scholarship renewed, a student must maintain a minimum grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale, or an equivalent;
(4) It describes the process by which a student receives a qualifying score for a scholarship. A student must receive a score on the ACT or SAT by the June national test date of the year in which the student finishes high school. That student will be offered a scholarship if the student's score places the student within the percentages described in the act of Missouri high school seniors who took the ACT or SAT during the year prior to the student's final year of high school;
(5) Current law allows a student to receive a renewal scholarship for the second, third, and fourth academic years. This act allows a renewal for a fifth academic year or as long as the recipient remains in compliance with the eligibility requirements.