SCR 19 - This resolution establishes a Joint Interim Committee on a Missouri Health Care Stabilization Fund, with ten members, three of which shall be members of the Senate appointed by the President Pro Tem of the Senate, two of which shall be members of the Senate appointed by the Minority Leader of the Senate; and three shall be members of the House of Representatives appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives, two of which shall be members of the House appointed by the Minority Leader of the House. The interim committee shall be responsible for:
1. Exploring the establishment of a Missouri Health Care Stabilization Fund to be administered by a health care stabilization board and housed within the Department of Insurance;
2. Investigating the primary objective of assuring health care providers that there will be reasonable medical malpractice liability coverage available within the state of Missouri;
3. Researching the possibility of requiring health care providers to carry primary medical malpractice coverage with another insurer in order to participate in the fund;
4. Investigating the feasibility of the fund paying moneys to an aggrieved party if his or her damages exceed the health care provider's primary level of coverage;
5. Exploring any other ideas as necessary for possible implementation of the fund.
The committee shall expire on December 31, 2005, and on that same date, they shall deliver a report of their findings to the General Assembly.