|SB 0511||Establishes the Joint Committee on the Life Sciences|
|LR Number:||1740S.01T||Fiscal Note:||1740-01|
|Committee:||Pensions and General Laws|
|Last Action:||07/11/03 - Signed by Governor||Journal page:|
|Effective Date:||August 28, 2003|
SB 511 - This act establishes the Joint Committee on the Life Sciences. The Joint Committee will be composed of seven members from the Senate, who will be appointed by the President Pro Tem and the Senate's minority floor leader, and seven members from the House, who will be appointed by the Speaker and the House's minority floor leader. Members shall serve until a successor is appointed. One Senate member and one House member shall be selected as a chairperson and vice-chairperson, with the chairpersonship alternating between the Senate and the House every two years.
The Joint Committee will be responsible for making recommendations that support life sciences research and commercialization in the following areas:
- Legislative implementation of Missouri's strategic plan for life sciences;
- Executive branch actions and policies;
- State investments;
- Changes in Missouri's tax system;
- Laws and policies designed to eliminate barriers and encourage new start-up life sciences companies in Missouri;
- Laws and policies that encourage the retention and recruitment of existing life sciences companies and life scientists; and
- Coordination of Missouri's existing scientific resources, including colleges and universities.
The Joint Committee will meet quarterly and members shall
serve without compensation but may be reimbursed for any expenses
incurred. The Joint Committee must compile an annual report to
be submitted to the General Assembly by January 15th each year.